Here is a basic recipe for risotto using PFS
- 5 cups broth (you can use chicken broth, beef broth, seafood stock, or vegetable broth)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped shallots or onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups arborio, carnaroli or other Italian “risotto” rice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup finely shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons of PFS original (experiment with your favorite seasoning here)
- 1/2 lb of pancetta sliced 1/8 in.
- 1/2 bunch of asparagus
- 6 button mushrooms sliced
- 2 tbsp of PFS
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Bring broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat so the broth remains steaming, but is not simmering. (Basically you just want to keep the broth hot.)
- discard bottom 1/4 of asparagus and then cut into thirds.
- Toss asparagus in olive oil, salt and pepper
- Roast in oven for about 20-30 min, flipping once half way through
- Cook pancetta in skillet for until done. chop up with chefs knife as desired.
- Deglaze pan with a splash of white wine. You don’t want to use to much wine because you are using this for the risotto and because you are going to cook the mushrooms.
- Cook mushrooms in the pan with an extra sprinkle of PFS
- Heat the 2 tbsp of oil in a Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add shallots and/or onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and PFS and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add rice and salt. Stir these till all are coated.
- Stir 1/2 cup of the hot broth and a generous splash of wine into the rice. Cook, stirring often, until the liquid has been absorbed. Continue to cook on medium-low, adding broth in 1/2-cup increments followed by a splash of wine, and stir often after each addition, until most all of the liquid is absorbed. The risotto is done when you’ve used all the broth and wine. The rice will be creamy and just tender, al dente, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in 3/4 cup cheese, Asparagus, mushrooms, pancetta, and fresh pepper.
- Serve sprinkled with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese.